Your Ad Here

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

In addition to being Valentines Day, today is special at #1 Hits because it's the blog's one year anniversary! If you would have asked me one year ago whether this site would still be up and running today, I would have probably said no. But, the success of my tiny project has definitely surprised me. I first started #1 Hits because I realized that there was a whole world of music out there that none of the people I knew (except for the ones I had directly influenced) even realized existed. Last year alone, I'd say a fair 80-90% of the music I listened to and loved was from overseas. I love sharing my discoveries with you all and hope that you've found a band that you can be passionate about through this site.

In honor of the anniversary, I'm posting today the very first song I ever posted on this blog. Swedish band The Mo defines the kind of music that I want #1 Hits to represent. Their music is truly some of the best in the world and is utterly unknown to those outside of Scandinavia. Well, you have no excuse any longer.

Just listen to The Right World, perhaps my favorite song of all time. It is perfect... an absolute pop masterpiece. The first time I heard it I was completely entranced. It sounded like something that should be on my radio, yet like nothing I had ever heard in America. It has everything I love about pop music: a killer riff, an undeniable, anthematic melody, a charismatic singer... and that special extra something. I still get chills everytime I hear it.

The Right World is taken from The Mo's second (and sadly, final) album, Night At The Zoo. Frontman Nicko now plays with Melody Club and will be releasing a solo album later this year. For now, in the hopes that you will pick this album up immediately, I'll offer a track by track review.

1. Man Dressed Animals - With a carnival kind of atmosphere, this catchy rock song introduces the album's theme... that there is an animal inside of everybody.

2. Bring Me A Spotlight - With a catchy guitar riff that reminds me of a kazoo, this mid-tempo rock track has got a killer chorus.

3. Howl In The Jungle - The first absolute masterpiece on the album. We're talking about an essential pop melody here with a singalong chorus. Nicko's voice is amazing on this track.

4. The Right World - Best song ever.

5. Beneath My Moon - A jazzy, slow number that is very eighties Billy Joel in delivery. The weakest track here, but still an absolute hit.

6. Rats On The Radio - In true Mo form, this is a very self referential track. It borrows parts of the melody to Little Drummer Boy but ends up sounding very different. A fist in the air kind of track.

7. Ghosts Of Love - A cheesy, 80's power rock track with a shout along chorus. Anything that opens with a foghorn has got to work.

8. Nostalgia Locomotive - The band's duet with Kris Le Mans, and their biggest hit. This is simply a gorgeous ballad with amazing drum work. Better than Angels, I'm serious.

9. Dancing Like A Heathen - The brilliant title says it all, doesn't it? This is a stunning piano laced power pop tune wit hone of the catchiest choruses ever.

10. All The Time (What's That About) - A beautiful, african sounding closer. Very eighties and very summery.

In short, a perfect album and one that I believe everyone should own. If you've liked what I've recommended before, this is going to be your new favorite record.

Buy It (in North America)

Buy It (in Europe)

Videos:

The Right World

Nostalgia Locomotive

Howl In The Jungle

10 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

happy birthday dude! Glad you are around :)

11:24 PM  
Blogger Digital Technique said...

happy birthday!! have lost count of the amazing bands and songs that I have been introduced to through your blog!!

2:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday to a fantastic source for cool music!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the blog!!!

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy anniversary!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Poster Girl said...

Happy birthday! I have no idea how you keep finding such amazing songs no one's heard of before, but I'm incredibly glad you do!

I've been toying with buying that album just on the strength of "The Right World," but not having any clue what it sounded like beyond that was sort of turning me off...that album review may have sealed the deal, though. You need to start earning comissions for all the music you get people to buy.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Thanks everybody for the kind words. Being able to share this music with others is why I do this!!

Oh, and poster girl (and everyone else)... do NOT hesitate to buy the album. It is one of the best ever recorded, especially if you like bands like The Ark and Melody Club.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Happy Birthday! Just found your blog recently but in addition to the great music you post, anything with a space theme is likely to get my attention. Keep up the great work!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Adem With An E said...

Happy Birthday!! ;)

xoxo

4:27 PM  
Blogger Adem With An E said...

Happy Birthday!! ;)

xoxo

4:30 PM  
Blogger Adem With An E said...

Happy Birthday!! ;)

xoxo

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home