Your Ad Here

Friday, April 13, 2007

THE ARK - PRAYER FOR THE WEEKEND



You don’t even have to be a regular visitor to this site to know how much I worship Swedish band The Ark. I honestly think their music, style, performance, everything is as close to perfection as you can get. I was very lucky this year to be in Stockholm to buy their new album, Prayer For The Weekend, in person. I’ve been listening to it nonstop since, and I think I’m finally ready to give a review. I’m going to rate each song on a scale of ten, but keep in mind that even a low rated Ark song is 100 times better than any track by other bands.

The album is a brilliant mix of the various styles the band has perfected over the year. There are the more dance influenced State Of The Ark style tracks alongside theatrical glam pop that hearkens back to their earlier releases. All in all, I’d say that Prayer is also their most diverse album yet. It really is a masterwork. Ola is at the top of his game lyrically. Just reading the cd booklet is a joy in itself. But, as usual, it's the bombastic, life-affirming music that speaks the loudest.

1. Prayer For The Weekend
Beginning with a Like A Prayer style build-up and then dropping a sickeningly great bassline, this is the dance track of the album. It’s also one of the simplest melodically, but there are some fantastic flourishes and surprises during the verses, including a wicked sax solo. 8/10

2. The Worrying Kind
Pure unadulterated glam rock in the style of such greats as Abba’s Waterloo and T.Rex’s Bang A Gong. You all should know this one already. Though it doesn’t quite sound like anything else on the record, it’s got an infectious big sound and a killer pop melody to match. 9/10

3. Absolutely No Decorum
Out of all of the songs on Prayer, Decorum has got the most classic Ark style. Think Calleth You, Cometh I but even more over the top. Opening with what sounds like a heavenly choir, this first single doesn’t let up all the way through. 10/10

4. Little Dysfunk You
Beginning with a spare synth beat, this quickly turns into an absolute masterpiece. One of my favorite tracks, for sure.. Lyrically, production wise, and vocally. The buildup to the chorus (and the chorus itself) is one of the best things I have ever heard. Seriously. It doesn’t get any better than this. 10/10

5. New Pollution
Or does it? Probably the most straight ahead rock song on the album, this is also fighting to be my favorite track on the album. Borrowing from The Who’s Tommy for part of the lyrics/melody, New Pollution also has one of the most flawless choruses I’ve ever heard. Perfection, all the way through. 10/10

6. Thorazine Corazon
This is the one everyone’s gonna hate. It’s not my favorite song the band’s ever done, mostly because the style is such a shift (it’s like a synth samba??) and the vocals sound a bit iffy on the verses. It is definitely catchy, though, and beginning to grow on me. 6/10

7. I Pathologize
Another great rocker, with an outstanding guitar solo towards the end. I don’t have a lot to say about this one, except that I love it very very much, especially the chorus. 8/10

8. Death To The Martyrs
They’ve got a choir of boys singing “you sorry ass” in the chorus!! How much better does it get than that? Lyrically, this story-song is very interesting. It is the glammiest song on the record for sure… completely over the top. My favorite part is when the choir really comes in towards the end. The whole thing’s pretty silly, but it may also be one of the best songs of the band’s career. And, yes, he does say “cunt” towards the end. Get over it. 10/10

9. All I Want Is You
The Worrying Kind’s partner, for sure. This one hearkens back to the 70’s glam pop sound as well, though it’s not quite as successful. Is it possible for a song to be too catchy? I like this, but it is a bit of a throwaway. 7/10

10. Gimme Love To Give
Another completely over-the-top Freddie Mercury type track here. It sounds like a hymn, but in Ark style. It starts a little slow, but soon the choir comes in and the whole thing turns quite irresistible. It may annoy some, as it’s a different step for the band (church rock?), but it’s also pretty hard to deny. Ola sounds great here, too. 8/10

11. Uriel
A lot has been written about this song already. Apparently Ola wrote it when he was a teenager, and it definitely has that same Racing With The Rabbits EP sound to it. Actually, this track reminds me most of This Sad Bouquet from their debut. Very understated and sweeping. I was expecting it to build up to more than it did, but it’s still a really beautiful, sorrowful ballad. 8/10

All in all, that adds up to an easy A. I'll be talking about this one for a long time to come, so you best buy it NOW!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only agree with you, this is perfection! /Swedish girl

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I still prefer Sate of the Ark at this point, but "Death To The Martyrs" is definitely shaping up to be one of my favorite songs of the year.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Goggle said...

I ordered this a couple of days ago, and the anticipation is killing me, especially with your very positive review. I can't wait to listen to it myself!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

This will be the album of 2007 unless some sort of pop miracle happens later in the year.

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Folks so lucky! I don't listen new The Ark, yet. They're my one of the fav bands. By the way thanks for the nice review.

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to give my short review as well:

1. Prayer for the weekend - canonical and rhytmical song with expressive choir emphasis
2. The worrying kind - rocking song with well-known and loved tunes, new sense and pop touch to it
3. Absolutely no decorum - dance, rock, absolutely Olaish song with uprising melodies, definitely positive
4. Little dysfunk you - definitely Roxette inspired rock thing
5. New pollution - 80ies rock
6. Thorazine corazon - story-song
7. I pathologize - old Ark mixed with echoed vocals
8. Death to the martyrs - a hit with choir singing march
9. All I want is you - soviet styled funny song
10. Gimme love to give - rhytmical
11. Uriel - Brian Adams styled

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home