Your Ad Here

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

"I waited for you at the record shop"

Despite loving him on Idol, I was completely underwhelmed by Blake Lewis' debut album a couple of years ago. It was just too scatter shot and unfocused for me, with far too much of a hip-hop influence. Thankfully, Blake's new album (out today) is the complete opposite. I'm actually blown away by how much better it is. With much more of an influence on melodic songwriting and fresh, electronic dance beats, the record absolutely soars. I was mildly impressed with the single, Sad Song, but now having listened to the album in full I can say that it's one of the weaker tracks. Not so with Heartbreak On Vinyl. It's easily Blake's finest song to date, an anthematic pop/dance track that is impossible to dislike. Lyrically, melodically, production-wise, it's an absolute triumph and really sets the listener up for the rest of the album (of which I Left My Baby For You is my other favorite). I hope that talent like this is able to shine through and be successful, especially after the misstep that was Audio Daydream. Listen, and I promise that you'll be a fan.

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here. Follow me on twitter at nickajames)

2 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

I'm so behind with albums. I've listened to Dragonette once and this is sitting around waiting for me :/ Just too busy with work. The title track is entirely and utterly amazing though. I love it.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

If you like the title track, you'll definitely like the rest of the album. Pay special attention to I Left My Baby For You. It's brilliant.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home