Your Ad Here

Monday, December 21, 2009

Top 20 Albums of 2009: 16-15

16. Dragonette - Fixin‘ To Thrill



These guys returned with a more mature, sophisticated release and surprised everyone (well, surprised me) by scoring a massive radio hit in Canada. They’re becoming more interesting by the moment, willing to push pop music in different directions and play around with their style. Martina, in particular, has blossomed into quite the frontwoman, someone who I can see rivaling Lady Gaga in avant garde wardrobe and image. This is one of the more consistent albums on the countdown, and hopefully the gateway to even more radio success. There are certainly plenty of potential singles to choose from.

Myspace

15. Shakira - She-Wolf



The first Shakira album to appear on my year end countdowns since I started doing this, it’s also her shortest work yet. Brevity as its rewards, though, as this is the strongest collection of songs she’s come up with in awhile. In fact, when I reviewed this a few months ago, I don’t think I really gave the album enough credit. It’s grown on me immensely, and become something I’ve played quite a lot this Fall. I loved Shakira the rock chick, but who knew she could do straight up pop music so awesomely? Another album with no shortness of single choices.

Myspace

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

Dragonette - as I've said on lots of other people's album countdowns, I was hoping that this would become scissor sisters debut album huge. That has yet to happen but I haven't lost hope. And Shakira! So poptastic - She Wolf (the song) is so wonderful (and so flexible!!) and I'm praying for the amazing Men In This Town as a single too!

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home