Your Ad Here

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Timoteij - Dansar i månens sken (Dancing in the Moonlight)


I'm not usually one for songs performed in a different language, but I'm completely taken with Timoteij's new debut album. It's one of the most fun, overblown pop records in awhile, and easily breaks language barriers. The group should have won Sweden's Melodifestivalen with the brilliantly cheesy Kom, and if you liked that song you'll love the album. Most of the tracks follow the same format: big drums, synthesized ethno-instrumentation, and a huge hook of a chorus. I'm convinced that if Dansar i månens sken was translated into English, given to one of our popstars (doesn't really matter who) and pushed into the mainstream, it would be a worldwide hit. It's a huge-sounding dance track with an inescapable instrumental hook in the chorus. Lead singer Cecilia Kallin's vocals remain as adorably captivating as they were on Kom. She really is Sweden's answer to Taylor Swift (except without the annoying parts). On Dansar it's the little bit of falsetto she uses in the chorus that sends the track over the edge. If you're a little apprehensive about giving the album a listen, I hope this steers you in the right direction.

Timoteij - Dansar i månens sken (Dancing in the Moonlight) by alienhits

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the album here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Linus said...

this is actually a cover, heres' the original. nice blog btw. not sure how i found my way here :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyfNuQblArU

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In 1987 it was also Denmark's entry in the Eurovision Song Contest.

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My previous comment posted was wrong. It was only an entry in the Nnational Melodigrandprix competition but did not win.
How could I have been so stupid??? I actually met Trine Dyrholm (the original singer) when I was an exchange student in Denmark.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

This is AWESOME. Had no idea it was actually an 80's hit. I love the original as well. I guess I know a hit when I hear one :)

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home