Your Ad Here

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Top 20 Albums of 2010: 4-3

Before I get into these final albums, I’ve got to note that the top four this year were the closest they’ve ever been. I switched the order around several times before settling on this. Each, in their own right, is pretty perfect.

4. Short Stack - This Is Bat Country



In a year where many of my favorites disappointed, this upstart Aussie band, previously known for less-than-spectacular punk-pop, released the best album of the Fall. It was that rare thing that appealed to me almost immediately, melding elements of rock, pop, punk and dance into a truly addictive cocktail. My top album of the year features the best vocals of 2010, but Short Stack may very well have the best performance. There’s charisma and sleaze oozing out of every second of these songs. The production’s top notch, go-for-broke stuff. And the songs… I can’t say enough about them.

Facebook

3. Scissor Sisters - Night Work



Though the pop world didn’t seem as enthused as I was, Scissor Sisters returned this year with what could be their best album to date. They’re the one obsession of mine that didn’t disappoint in 2010. In fact, as I grew to understand the album, I realized that it was better than anything I could have hoped for. Remarkably consistent, produced to perfection (again, but Stuart Price) and the ballsiest record of the year. While it may not have the singles of their debut, it’s that rare thing in 2010: an honest-to-god, don’t-skip-a-track album. They don’t come along very often anymore, but when they do it’s quite stirring.

Facebook

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger arkangelhead said...

Totally at the top of my list this year! LOVE this album! I think my fave track is Skin Tight! :0)

5:05 PM  
Blogger arkangelhead said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home