Your Ad Here

Thursday, November 09, 2006

TV From Another Planet: Day Four

Firefly



Premise: A space-cowboy soap opera… similar in theme to Cowboy Bebop but with a distinguishable plot… nomadic bounty hunters roam space for work… a Joss Whedon creation.

Why it rocked: With my love for Buffy and Angel, it’s no surprise that this show is on my list. I’m normally not really into shows of the Star Trek flying-through-space variety, but Joss gave this one a nice character-driven twist. No matter who you are or what TV genre you prefer, you will fall in love this show. The dialogue and writing is so great that each character really becomes part of your life. It helps also that the special effects and action sequences are top-notch for television. Funnier than it has any right to be, this is the kind of series that develops a cult following in a snap. Like both Stars (Trek and Wars) before it, Firefly created a world of its own… a world anyone would be glad to get lost in. Throw in epic subplots and you’ve got an extremely addictive series. Shame that the equally as good movie spin off Serenity did so poorly in theaters. No accounting for taste….

More Information
Buy It

Trailer (fan-made but really good)



Trailer for Serenity (the movie sequel)

6 Comments:

Blogger Poster Girl said...

I have heard so many good things about Firefly, and I'm positive I'd love it...but somehow, I've just never gotten around to watching it. Maybe near Christmas this year.

Jumping back a day: Freaks and Geeks! My family and I watched it faithfully when it was on, and none of us could understand why it didn't pick up the audience it needed to avoid cancellation...I haven't seen it in years, though (maybe I'll have to rent it when I go rent Firefly--which I'm also sure my family would love, so maybe I'll try to addict us all to it when I visit them again :) ).

So, basically, the branching out to include TV shows is great!

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

re: Firefly...amen.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

You will love Firefly!! It's so addicting. The pilot is double length and (though it's wonderful) a bit slow... so stick with the show through the first few episodes.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

i think i need to take your advice because as much as i worship at the altar of Buffy and Angel, Firefly has passed me by and i never get past the first hour or so. Now i am off work for a few weeks and the boxset is on sale in HMV i shall tackle it with renewed energy :)

1:42 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Definitely, just give it a few episodes and you'll be completely entrenched.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Enoch said...

Well, I do not actually believe it is likely to have success.
SIRLOIN STEAK WITH SAUCES

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home