Your Ad Here

Monday, January 22, 2007

I'm a big fan of story (teen and kid's, especially). It was a huge part of my college major and I'm currently working on writing several novels within the genre. So, in addition to regular posts this week, I'm going to spotlight some of my literature picks, culminating in..... drumroll..... the trilogy to end all trilogies! Do you know what it is??



Day One: RUNAWAYS

Now, I grew up reading comic books (Marvel, btw... not that that'll probably mean much to a lot of you), so I was well ingratiated with the genre already. But, for those who have never read a "superhero" comic before (or at least not this one), I've got something very special to share with you today.

Premise: Hasn't everybody considered the fact that their parents might be evil at one point? For the young cast of Runaways, this isn't just a passing thought. After the gang witnesses their folks performing a human sacrifice, they (as the title points to) run away. But, their parents aren't going to let it be that easy.

Why it Rocks: Where do I start? Runaways has the best characterization (and the best characters) in comics today. Imagine Breakfast Club meets Buffy in a world of superheroes and you've got a good idea of what's in store. In fact, looking closer at the Buffy comparison, that show's creator, Joss Whedon, is actually set to take over the writing of the book when creator (and personal writing idol) Brian K. Vaughn leaves in a few issues. His reason? He's too big of a fan not to.
Back to characters... Runaways has got everything you could want in a teen dramedy. You've got a psychically-linked dinosaur (!), misunderstood jock, alternative witch girl... sexual confusion, body issues... everything. Plus, the dialogue is exactly what you would expect in a teen book: witty, sarcastic and quick. And, in case you thought the book was all laughs.... just recently fans witnessed one of the most shocking and affecting deaths in all of comics.
In addition to characterization, the book boasts the best plot twists you can imagine, almost one (if not more) per issue. The cast is forever changing and the plot thickens with every step the young runaways take. You never know where the story is going, even when you think you've got an idea.
Finally, I can't forget the art, given that this is a comic book/graphic novel. Without saying much, I will say that it is unique, playful and more effective than you can imagine.
I could go on and on (obviously) because I am so passionate about this book. I love it just as much as similar fare (the aforementioned Buffy).

How to get it: So far, Marvel has been kind enough to bind the issues into super-cheap digests, which make this one of the most accessible stories on the racks today. Buy and read it if you are a fan of Whedon or teen stories/movies/television at all. Knowledge of comic book continuity (nerd alert!) enhances the stories, but in no way is necessary.

Buy digest one!

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

ooo yay i've been waiting for this and plan on buying digest one when i am in nyc this very week (British Airways strike pending!)

8:04 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Fantastic! I hope you love it and that you have a good time in NYC!!

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review, I just went and ordered the first one.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Fantastic! Let me know what you think when you're finished.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

It makes my day that people are picking up this book. I hope you all love it!

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home