Your Ad Here

Sunday, December 30, 2007



2. Superfamily - Warszawa



This was one of those albums, like the Delays' album last year, that was just instant with me. I was blown away by the scope of the music and power of the melodies. This and the number one album are really neck and neck and they both define the word perfect. Warszawa literally sounds like it was recorded on another planet. The time traveling theme definitely supports this, but it’s the monstrous, majestic music that really puts you in a different zone altogether. I’m a fan of the epic, and this album delivered that like hardly any other I’ve ever heard before. It’s hard to believe, going in to the first track, that they can keep the momentum up through the entire album, and yet somehow they do.

Superfamily - Bitches On The Scene

1. Laakso - Mother, Am I Good Looking?



It’s difficult to explain how much this album means to me. For some reason, I find it incredibly personal, though I’ve never gone through most of the things that Marcus writes about. It’s something about his delivery and the strength of the music. I wasn’t immediately aware of how great this record was upon first listen, but then I gave it another try and soon I was listening to it daily when I was in the UK this past Spring. It followed me everywhere, to new cities, new people, new adventures. This of course wouldn’t mean much if the record wasn’t as brilliant as it is. The songs are incredibly diverse in their sound, yet the lyrics bring them all together and form a definite album, not just a collection of great tracks. Remove one song and it just isn’t the same. The funniest thing is, before 2007 Laakso were maybe at best a second tier group in my eyes. This year they joined the masters.

Laakso - Hang Me In The Christmas Tree

5 Comments:

Blogger Poster Girl said...

Yes yes yes! That Laakso album is fantastic. I still wish the epic and literally perfect "Norrköping" had been a single, but when they've been doing just such consistently amazing work this year on everything, I guess I can't really complain that much.

Extra love for "Out Of Love" and "Gettin' Enough" as well (well, and "Absolutely No Decorum, too!).

7:01 PM  
Blogger Grifit said...

Love Superfamily
I can't stop hearing Warzawa
good choice

9:17 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

I'm glad there are others out there loving these two albums as much as I do. Could you imagine if stuff like this was released in the States??

Oh, and yes, poster girl, Norrköping is the best.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me a while to get into Laakso. Originally I kept just listening to Norrköping over an over again but slowly the rest of the album won me over an I am just so smitten with then now.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

It's funny because everyone I've introduced the Laakso album to has the same reaction as you (and I) had. It takes awhile to totally get into and love, but then after a few listens you just can't stop playing it over and over.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home