Your Ad Here

Friday, January 22, 2010

Pop Blitz 1/22/10

Goldfrapp - Rocket
This is better than I dared hope Goldfrapp would come back with, especially after their left-turn of a folk-pop album. Bright, summery synths never sounded better. It's like they studied this blog and constructed something to appeal especially to me. A

Young Money - BedRock
I remember when the whole Cash Money brand produced some decent (if incredibly stupid and easily mocked) rap music. I like Lil' Wayne when he was a teenager, or Juvenile's dumb singles, or even the ridiculous "Hot Boys." This is garbage. They took out all of the fun. F

Taylor Swift - Today Was A Fairytale
Let the overexposure begin. How long can she write about fairytales and princes and crap like that? I don't buy that she's always the great lyricist people claim she is. This is sub-par Hallmark card material. Her last one was heaps better. C-

Orianthi - According To You
The guitar is fantastic. Unfortunately, the song's an absolute bore. And, oh my god, who approved of that video? Why the hell is there the neck of a guitar covering the screen half of the time? C

Example - Won't Go Quietly
This could definitely use a stronger chorus. The verses are definitely the best part, but all in all it's pretty forgettable. A time-passer, though I doubt I'll remember it in a few months. B-

Justin Bieber - Baby (ft. Ludacris)
How lucky is this kid? Right place, right time. Like his past singles, it's certainly catchy. I actually kind of like the chorus a lot more than I should. Guilty pleasure, for sure.B

Marianas Trench - Beside You
An emo rock worth noting, especially since I usually hate emo rock. The African elements to this are gorgeous and add an interesting texture to what could've been a boring ballad. A-

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

Quite disappointed with Taylor's song - it just seems to be a rehash of You Belong To Me and Love Story! Popped Goldfrapp on a cd for a dinner party last night and she was a massive hit among the guests :)

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Brad said...

Have you heard this song ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ2-9GdJgqc

8:37 AM  
Anonymous alex said...

I will check them out.

Have you btw paid any attention to Eurovision in Norway this year?

This is one amongst others you might like, "Tokyo Night"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtjSYFKKyZo

12:14 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Paul, Taylor is really starting to annoy me. I know her reputation is of the girly singer/songwriter variety (which isn't really my thing anyway), but she needs to up her game to be deserving of all the hype.
Glad you like Goldfrapp (along with seemingly everyone in the blogosphere!)

Brad, I've heard it once but need to listen some more. It's very nice and a step up from her previous work, imo

Alex, I've followed from a distance. Nothing's really caught my ear, though there are many good ones, the Tokyo Night song being among them. I need to listen to Alexander Stenerud's entry some more as well. I was a huge fan of last year's. This one hasn't caught me immediately, but I love his voice so I'm bound to come around.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home