Your Ad Here

Friday, May 28, 2010

Kaka - Below This Sun


"This funky little planet's no fun"

Kaka (aka: Ricky Karlsson, formerly of the Mo) is back! It's quite a welcome return, as his solo debut was a brilliant collection of slightly off-kilter synth pop. The new single, Below This Sun, is more of the same. This time around, though, there's a funky marching band beat underpinning the track. Production wise, it reminds me a little of Madonna's hit 4 Minutes. His trademark tropical synths are there as well, joining a dramatic synth swoop that bubbles up near the end, when the tempo explodes into something faster and stranger. It's a wonderful comeback, and gets me really excited for the upcoming album. Karlsson's the rare indie artist that writes as if he's aiming for the top of the charts. There's more than a little Mo left in him, which is huge for me, as the Mo were one of my favorite bands ever.

Kaka - Below This Sun by alienhits

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the single/EP here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Gumby said...

By the single where? I was never able to find the first KAKA album, but I liked what I heard from it.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Robpop said...

perhaps worst name in pop ever. If he wants promote his work in France, Spain and German..he'll have to change his name.
Good music though.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Whoops, fixed it Gumby. Try klicktrack. They've got all his stuff and it's available world-wide. The album's well worth your time, though a physical copy's not necessary. I picked one up when I was in Stockholm and the cover/booklet art left something to be desired...

Rob, he has got the worst name in pop... agreed. It's a shame, because it doesn't fit the sound at all. And pop is SO much about image.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home