Your Ad Here

Friday, May 14, 2010

Rogue Traders - Would You Raise Your Hands


"If I raise my hands would that make you dance?"

Rogue Traders is one of those bands that I should love. Yet their music has never really done anything for me, until this single. I've enjoyed all of their prior singles to a point, but they've never been enough to make me want to investigate an album. Now the band's back with a new singer (the punky Melinda Jackson replaces now-solo Natalie Bassingthwaighte). This is going to be sacrilege to long-time fans, but I actually prefer Jackson's Minogue-gone-punk vocals to Bassingthwaighte's, which tended to be more dance diva. Their sound this time around ups the electro influences, and this is by far the best single I've heard from the band. In fact, it's one of the best songs of this genre I've heard all year. They even sample one of my musical heroes, Adam Ant. And it's one of those brief, we're-gonna-honor-you samples, as opposed to the usual we're-gonna-exploit-your-success sample. The beat is ferocious and the vocals sneer while still retaining a definite pop edge. There's a hungry, urgent energy at play here that's completely refreshing. I may just have to give the next album a listen. This is a Rogue Traders I can get behind.

Rogue Traders - Would You Raise Your Hands by alienhits

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the single here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

a) I really like the new song b) I really like the guy at the front of the photo's jacket c) the album cover is ace.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Agree about the jacket, though his "why the hell are you in my house?" facial expression is a little creepy.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home