Your Ad Here

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Pop Blitz 8/4/10

Robyn - Hang With Me She's two for two this year, following up the instant classic Dancing On My Own with a song nearly as strong. The beat's similar, but it's the sticky melody that keeps you coming back. A

The Wanted - All Time Low
I've never been much of a fan of boybands. They're so inherently cheesy. But this is as close to a Kings Of Leon style anthem that boybandpop gets. Adding a bit of a club beat throughout was a great touch. A deserved UK #1. B+

Ne-Yo - Beautiful Monster
If Closer was a step in the right direction, this is an example of Ne-Yo's fully realized club sound. He pulls a total Jacko in the video, and I appreciate the new sound, but something about his vocals has always left me a little cold. B-

Linkin Park - The Catalyst
In which Linkin Park extend their fame yet again by trying something totally new. This odd breakbeat/protest/anthem/experimental-rock/dance hybrid is unlike anything else on the radio right now. I'm not sure what I think about it, exactly, but it's more interesting than anything the band have done thus far. B+

Flo Rida - Club Can't Handle Me (ft. David Guetta)
I am so tired of this David Guetta sound. Flo-Rida aims for an I Got A Feeling and gets something with the same drive but no feeling behind it. A hit by default, but it'll be forgotten next year. C-

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
Like the first album, she's followed up a ridiculously catchy novelty hit with an equally catchy pop track. And also like the last album, it's a one-two punch. A perfect example of breezy, modern radio pop. A

Eliza Doolittle - Pack Up
This should be subpar Lily Allen, yet it completely works. It's all about the sample, which is the perfect hook for the summer. I don't think I'd like to hear anymore from Doolittle, but this is a great little novelty pop song. A-

Wow, this may have just been my highest rated Blitz yet!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

Eliza's album isn't too bad actually but it depends on your tolerance for twee pop. Agree with your thoughts on The Wanted. Hope they can keep this up...

And yes, I've finally been won over to Robyn. I'm quite liking her now as it goes!

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Gmisk said...

The Robyn single is brilliant...the wanted song is just really poor imo...no idea why it is UK number 1halig

1:19 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

I still like the Wanted song. It's got a bit of a kick to it, which is a bit unexpected in my opinion. I might check out Miss Doolittle's album, though I hated her last single...

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home