Your Ad Here

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Track-by-Track: Robyn - Body Talk Pt. 2

There is no more exciting popstar out there at the moment than Robyn. Another reviewer compared her recent output to Prince's heyday, and I think that's the perfect comparison. Like Prince at his best, Robyn melds experimentalism with pure chart-topping pop. And Pt. 2 of her Body Talk project is even better than the first.

1. In My Eyes - On first listen, this was slightly underwhelming. That's quickly changed. Rather than relying on a gimmick, this goes for the pop jugular with a melody so sticky and majestic that it'll be in your head for months. The programmed drums are to die for. 10/10

2. Include Me Out - Another old-school Robyn track that impresses more with repeated listens. This is the perfect sound for her--melodic, but totally quirky. The lyrics on this, especially, are great fun. 10/10

3. Hang With Me - A great follow-up to Dancing On My Own that utilizes the same type of hypnotic Kleerup beat that's served her so well in the past. It eclipses the acoustic version by miles and has a lethal earworm of a melody. Great, great pop music. 10/10

4. Love Kills - A more menacing club track, I'm not as fond of this as the past three. The general atmosphere is an interesting departure, but I guess I wish that it wasn't quite so anonymous. Still, it's an easy 9/10

5. We Dance To The Beat - Probably a more interesting experiment on paper than it ends up being aurally, the best part of this is the lyrics. If those lyrics would have been tacked to some type of hook (any hook), this would've been a total highlight. 8/10

6. Criminal Intent - Follows the Fembots template of attitude-filled rap-pop. I prefer this to Fembots, though. It feels a little funkier... grittier, even. However, I do feel that it'll wear a little thin over time. 9/10

7. U Should Know Better (ft. Snoop Dogg) - I feared that this might not work as well as I'd want it to, but I was completely long. It's my favorite thing Snoop's ever done, and a huge highlight of the album. The hook is probably the strongest out of all eight tracks, even though it might not seem so on first listen. 10/10

8. Indestructible (Acoustic) - The best ballad she's recorded in some time, this is just begging for an uptempo "remix" on the next EP. The strings add necessary drama and Robyn's voice is as strong as it gets. 10/10

Album Grade: 9.5/10

And, if you were curious, here's how I rate Pt. 1:
1. Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do - 10/10
2. Fembot - 9/10
3. Dancing On My Own - 10/10
4. Cry When You Get Older - 10/10
5. Dancehall Queen - 8/10
6. None Of Dem (ft. Royksopp) - 7/10
7. Hang With Me (Acoustic) - 8/10
8. Jag Vet En Dejlig Rosa - 8/10

Album: 8.8/10

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

So if I took all the 10/10 songs from both releases, I would have a pretty stellar album? I am warming to Robyn's ice cool songs...

1:20 AM  
Anonymous GM said...

Sounds good! Defo have to grab this one

5:57 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

The "compilation version" of the best songs from all three EPs is going to be EPIC. Glad you're warming to Robyn, Paul. I have no idea what took so long!!! :)

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home