Your Ad Here

Thursday, October 07, 2010

Pop Blitz 10/7/10

Joe McElderry - Ambitions While I can't say I'm happy that this perfect Scandinavian hit is being repackaged by another artist, this could be a lot worse. Sure, it's been stripped of the delicate melancholy of the original, but the new Jai-ho peppiness of it all makes this a different kind of treat. A good song is a good song. A-

Nelly - Just A Dream
I can't say I expected this comeback. As far as hip-hoppers go, I've always found Nelly pretty charming. This is more gooey ballad than rap thumper, and it's all the better for that. A nice surprise. B+

Kings Of Leon - Radioactive
Unlikely to chart as high as past hits, but this percussive, rootsy rocker has its own charms. Pleasant, even if it isn't the most memorable thing in the world. B

Robbie Williams & Gary Barlow - Shame
They deserve a stronger song. It sounds like a b-side. That being said, I'm a fan of any song Robbie touches, and the laid-back orchestral flourishes bump this up a little for me. B-

Pink - Raise Your Glass
She's never really released a bad single, so the quality here is no surprise. I'm more fond of the verses than the chorus, though. B+

Kanye West - Runaway
I'm not aboard the Kanye train. When this was performed on the VMAs, I thought it was ridiculously stupid. Presented here without the added spectacle, it's just pretty stupid. C-

The Saturdays - Higher
As far as girl groups go, the Saturdays have done little to impress me. This is utter crap. It's so derivative that I can't believe there were actual songwriters involved. So devoid of any personality. And any semblance of a hook. D

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

It's the video that makes joe's song so joyful for me. Perhaps you would prefer Robbie's other greatest hits track - i do think it should have been single number one (though get the commercial appeal of a duet with the Gazster). I'm loving P!nk also - it's typical her isn't it but done so well.

12:58 AM  
Anonymous gmisk said...

The Saturdays have some really strong pop songs, if this is love, wordshaker, firever is over, ego, up, work etc...higher isnt ground breaking but its by no means a disaster (and it is catchy as hell).
The Joe song is pointless

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home