Your Ad Here

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Track-by-Track: Mcfly - Above The Noise

I'm not sure I've ever given Mcfly the respect they deserve. They've never released a bad album and have one of my favorites from the last decade in 2006's Motion In The Ocean. Still, I doubted their recent shift in sound before I had even heard it. And I was wrong. It's the second best album of their career. (And that's saying something, since most bands burn out by the time they get to the fifth release)

1. End Of The World - Opens the album with the computer/techno conceit before segueing into an aggressive, electro-rock anthem. While it's not my favorite track, it's a fitting introduction to the new sound with some great guitar work towards the end. 8/10

2. Party Girl - I initially wrote this off as a bandwagon-jumping clone of Gaga-esque rock, but it's grown on me considerable. It's the beat... totally massive. 10/10

3. If U C Kate - A midtempo, funky pop track that blends their old sound with their new in such an effective way. The gimmicky title sells this song short. It's such a bundle of hooks, yet still manages subtlety with a timeless appeal. 10/10

4. Shine A Light - This is the album's classic. The version here doesn't feature Taio Cruz (I actually like the one with Taio better), but it's still an absolute highlight in their career. Like all the best songs, it's incredibly simple. You will not find a better song to represent the 2010 pop trend than this. 10/10

5. I'll Be Your Man - I don't really think of Mcfly as a boyband, but this is definitely their big boyband ballad. It's cheesy and to the point, but utterly successful. This could have been an enormous Nsync/Backstreet Boys/etc hit back when they were big. This should be the next single. 9/10

6. Nowhere To Run - This brings back the huge, electro-inspired sound of tracks like Party Girl. It starts out with some restrained strumming before transforming into a dancefloor monster. Very smart move. 9/10

7. I Need A Woman - And now we've got a slower, Motown-inspired sound. I should hate this, but the melody wins me over. It's amazing how much their songwriting has grown. The chorus is a total cathartic release. Wonderful vocals. 9/10

8. That's The Truth - A string section opens the song, which quickly turns into something a little more straightforward. It's a middle-of-the-road type pop song. Very pleasant with a great chorus, but not one of the more memorable tracks. 7/10

9. Take Me There - Now we're back to something a little more anthemic. This song's in a constant state of building up to something. That's a good thing because the building up is the fun part. The production on this is stunning, especially the guitars. Pretty epic. 10/10

10. This Song - Probably my least favorite song on the album. The melody's pleasant enough, but the lyrics feel a little simplistic and juvenile. That being said, it's still not something I'd skip. 7/10

11. Foolish - More strings open this one -- a build-up that doesn't completely pay off. I love the melody in the verses but wanted more from the chorus. 7/10

Album Grade: 8.7/10

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

Great review :) I can always rely on you! I am loving Shine A Light more and more with each play. I think I'll Be Your Man and IF U C Kate should both definitely be singles. I'm so pleased that SAL is doing so well in the midweeks...

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home