Your Ad Here

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Top 20 Albums of 2010: 6-5

6. Marina & The Diamonds - The Family Jewels



I came full circle with Marina this year (seems to be a trend with 2010 albums). Though I didn’t mention her all that much on the blog, this album sound tracked much of the first half of this year. What initially seemed cluttered and a bit crazy sharpened into a lush, intriguing pop album the likes of which we haven’t seen in quite awhile. It won’t be everybody’s cup of tea (hell, it nearly wasn’t mine), but once it connected it connected in a big way. It’s one of the few albums I don’t seem to get tired with.

Facebook

5. The Hoosiers - The Illusion Of Safety



Wow, this year’s list seems to be populated with artists that I previously disliked or was ambivalent to. I was not a fan of the Hoosiers’ first album, but as soon as they reinvented themselves as a Buggles-esque 80’s synth-pop band, I knew I had to give them a chance. What resulted was one of the best albums of the year. It’s simply flawless pop throughout, veering off in surprising directions while never straying too far from the radio. Uniformly great choruses, too.

Facebook

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

Interesting you say that about Marina - I've gone the other way. I started out really liking her, but I've now not so much time for her (though I still like the album).

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home