Your Ad Here

Monday, December 27, 2010

Top 20 Albums of 2010: 8-7

8. Darin - Lovekiller



Of all of the Swedish pop albums released this year (and there were many), this was right at the top of the list. I wouldn’t have expected that at all. I’ve always been a fan of Darin’s, but never connected to any of his albums. This, a collection of mostly-ballads, shouldn’t have been any different. But it worked. He turned the schmaltz and drama up to eleven and crafted a world-conquering sound that was more than a little reminiscent of the late, great Michael Jackson. More than anything, it ushered him into a new stage of his career. Expect more massive hooks to follow.

Facebook

7. Take That - Progress



Who would have thought? This is easily the most experimental “boy band“ album I’ve ever heard. Bringing Robbie back into the fold seemed to inspire a new verve in the band’s music. I’ve never been more than a casual fan before, but this majestic batch of songs yielded a late-Fall sucker punch. It’s one of the more eclectic mixes on the countdown, overseen by producer extraordinaire Stuart Price. What could have been a disaster plays instead like 2010’s best rock-opera.

Facebook

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Take That would be one of my top albums of the year! I was never a fan either but when you posted the clip of Happy Now, I realized I had to go out and get that album!

I was even more surprised when I saw it on the shelf of my local Walmart...

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home