Your Ad Here

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pop Blitz 3/17/11

George Michael - True Faith
Michael comes back with a midtempo track (a cover of the New Order hit) that overuses vocoder effects. He's got one of the best pop voices of all time, so what's with the electronics? And why can't we get something more uptempo (or at least with a better melody)? C-

Glee Cast - Loser Like Me
Glee remains as frustrating as it is entertaining. There's more potential than this radio-friendly track displays, but it's not bad, either. Next time, they need to opt for a more unique sound that capitalizes on their use of choral harmonies. B

Selena Gomez - Who Says
It's a brief (hopefully) pit stop to "uplifting" Taylor Swift-esque material for the Disney star. It's actually not as bad as I feared. The production's catchy enough, but I wish it was in another language so that I couldn't understand the lame lyrics. C+

The Wanted - Gold Forever
They're really building up a strong set of singles. This is the exact direction I was hoping they'd follow -- more electronic, more dramatic and uptempo. It's a promising sign for their second album, whenever they decide to release it. A

Martin Solveig & Dragonette - Hello
If this is what it takes to give Dragonette a world-wide audience, I'm totally okay with it. It's not the band's best track (and yeah, I know it's Solveig's song, but it sounds enough like Dragonette to be classified as such), but even their average material is heads above most everything else. A-

Jessie J - Price Tag
Honestly, isn't the chorus to this exactly the same as Pink's "F**king Perfect" (another song that completely underwhelmed me)? I just don't get the hype over this. It's dull, predictable and forgettable. What am I missing? C+

Black Eyed Peas - Just Can't Get Enough
How can one band be responsible for both some of the worst songs and best songs on the past few years? This isn't close to their low point (that would be previous single, the vomitatious "The Time (Dirty Bit)") but it's no "I Gotta Feeling," either. It's simply alright. B-

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Poster Girl said...

"Glee remains as frustrating as it is entertaining" is going to be my new go-to explanation for how I feel about that series. I always watch it and, by the same token, always end up complaining about some aspect(s) of it. I do like "Loser Like Me," though putting it in the same episode as "Raise Your Glass" was a strange decision that robbed both of the songs of some power.

That George Michael track...it's beyond me. I don't know what anyone involved could have been thinking.

I never want to hear that Jessie J song again. Ahh, for the days when she actually seemed like an interesting, promising pop prospect and you could write off all her subpar songs as the result of an until-recently-unsigned singer whose good voice had not yet been matched up with good songwriters. Now even her voice no longer seems appealing.

The Peas should have stayed away longer; none of their new songs feel like anything other than a hurriedly written cash-in on their popularity that functions more as stopgap promotional material than as enjoyable music.

On the other hand, "Hello" is great. Success in the U.S. (is that possible?) would be such a nice surprise.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous JC said...

YOu might get a kick out of this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jnh72sBMmqM

6:05 PM  
Blogger HH said...

Hello is a song I've been enjoying for like 6 months now...but it's off my playlist.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home