Your Ad Here

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Movie Blitz 6/7/11

My last Movie Blitz was pretty depressing, with a load of disappointing movies. Now that the Spring/Summer's upon us, there's been quite a change!

X-Men: First Class
I grew up with the comics and have always been a big fan of the movie franchise. And unsurprisingly, I loved this reboot/prequel. It's right up their with the Star Trek reboot from a couple of years ago. Smart, well acted and cast, and completely thrilling (even if they messed with some of the continuity). The truth is, even though I'm a built-in audience, I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did! A

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
Another thing I'm a fan of. The books are hilarious and the first movie was quite the little charmer. I think this is even better than the first one, though. The cast has really grown into their roles and the middle-school humor is always cringingly, realistically awkward. A-

Hanna
I wasn't sure what to expect from this movie, but I had high hopes. It ended up being even more enjoyable than I thought it would. Amazing direction and acting make this a solid thriller, but the real jolt of human emotion sets it above the pack. A

Fast Five
I'm not a fan of this franchise (although, to be honest, I've only seen #4), but as an action movie, this blew me away. Sure, the writing/acting can be cliched and eye-rolling, but this has the best action sequences I've seen in years. Stuff that'll really take your breath away. That entire last sequence? WOW. A-

Thor
I make it a point to see every Marvel Comics movie, as I was such a Marvel nut growing up. Thor's never been one of my favorites. They did what they could with him, but I found myself slightly underwhelmed. Still, it's a solid lead-in for next year's sure-to-be-epic Avengers movie. B-

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the wimpy kid books, but have not had the courage to try the movies, so glad you did a review, I will test one out to see if I can stomach it.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Myfizzypop said...

ooo i may well look at the dvd of the second wimpy kid movie as i missed it at the theatre. X Men i'm up for this weekend :)

And unrelated (sort of) - have you read the Wimpy Diary of A Vampire books? HIlarious.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home