Your Ad Here

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pop Blitz 7/21/2011

Rebecca Black - My Moment
The subversive part of me really wants this girl to carve out a career based solely on her WTF story. However, this song isn't gonna do it. It's neither good enough to leave an impact, nor bad enough to laugh at. C

Selena Gomez & The Scene - Love You Like A Love Song
Selena's got some team surrounding her. It's not like she's a powerhouse singer (at all), but her brand of radio pop keeps getting better and catchier. This is another surprisingly excellent, dub-step influenced, hit. A-

Calvin Harris - Bounce (ft. Kelis)
Essentially a Kelis song wrapped in Calvin Harris production, this is a summer dance tune that certainly goes down easy. It's nothing revolutionary, but the instrumental hook works and Kelis's vocals sound nice. B+

DJ Fresh - Louder (ft. Sian Evans)
More UK dance music, though the aggressive production makes this a little less clubby than the last track. It's grown on me, but I don't think I'll be playing this beyond the Summer. B-

Six D - Best Damn Night
This was featured heavily on American reality show The Dance Scene, and that's probably the only reason I sort of like it. Now that I've heard it more often, though, I'm convinced it is a little too harried and derivative for its own good. C+

Hot Chelle Rae - Tonight Tonight
Every summer, America seems to pick one "rock" song to get obsessed about (last year it was Neon Trees' Animal, btw). This is not as good. It actually reminds me a little of a borderline novelty song from the 90's. It could be a whole lot worse, but it doesn't do a lot for me either. C+

Rizzle Kicks - Down With Trumpets
While I'm not really sold on this song, I think this rap duo has heaps of potential. They do need a better hook, though. This feels just a bit lazy, even with the nice sample and funny lyrics. B-

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Project Mobius said...

Hmm... Does your grading scale slip off a lot when you go from C+ to C? ;)

I'm just kidding you because I've been in love with "Tonight Tonight" for more than 5 months, and I'm glad to see that the rest of the world is finally finding out about this song.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in the same boat, I keep trying to get tired of Tonight Tonight, and I just cant ... yet.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home