Your Ad Here

Friday, February 24, 2012

Melodifestivalen 2012: Heat Four - Preliminary Judging

From the sound of it, week four will likely be the strongest heat in a week year for Melodifestivalen. This is frustrating because it's also the only week where I will be out of town during the competition, which means I'll be scrambling to watch it later while trying not to come across spoilers beforehand. Also, it means no live blog tomorrow :(

(Listen to clips here)

Charlotte Perrelli - The Girl
Two time winner Perrelli comes back with what sounds like a strong schlager entry. It's instantly better than pretty much everything last week, though it doesn't sound like a full-on winner to me. 4.5/5

OPA - Allting blir bra igen (Everything Will Be Fine Again)
This is certainly an interesting shift in sound. It's not unpleasant, but doesn't seem to really go anywhere. In the context of the competition, it feels like a real oddball--and not a memorable one either. 2.5/5

Dynazty - Land Of Broken Dreams
I'm usually a fan of this type of hair metal in MF, but I'm not sure if I'm going to end up loving this or simply liking it. Still, it's a welcome shot of energy and will certainly do well. I'm holding out hope that the full version is even better than the clip. 4/5

Lotta Engberg & Christer Sjögren - Don't Let Me Down
Oh, how I detest Christer. Seriously, his voice makes me want to jump off a cliff. That said, I actually really like the melody of this. It's somewhat Abba-esque and the production is quite campy. I wish it was just the woman singing, though. 3.5/5

Hanna Lindblad - Goosebumps
The second song in this year's competition by my favorite writer, Tony Nilsson. That guarantees that this is going to be at least good. The way the clip's cut, it's hard to tell much more than that, but I'm liking the sound of the chorus for sure. 4/5

Axel Algmark - Kyss mig (Kiss Me)
I have no idea who this guy is, and this seems oddly indie to be in MF, but I don't mind it at all. I'm glad it's at least somewhat energetic. It's kind of weird that it switches from Swedish to English in the chorus, though. 3.5/5

Lisa Miskovsky - Why Start A Fire?
I've always liked Miskovsky, and she's a huge name in Sweden. I really love the drums in this clip and I think the chorus has immense potential to grow on me. There's no denying she'll do well. And I think, based on this clip, that she might just deserve it. 4/5

Danny Saucedo - Amazing
This is a big favorite to win the entire competition. I definitely like the sound of it better than last year's entry, which I didn't like at all. It's very anthemic, but I still think Loreen will end up having the best song this year. We'll see. 4.5/5

I'm calling Danny and Lisa or Dynazty for the final, with Charlotte and Lotta/Christer fighting for that last spot. Arrghh! Why put all the best acts in one week??

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home