Your Ad Here

Friday, April 06, 2012

Flashback Friday: Fire Inc. - Nowhere Fast


"Everybody's going nowhere slowly"

I can't even describe to you how in love with these songs I am. So in love, in fact, that I can't just post one. Fire Inc. was a band created solely for the purpose of recording this pair of tracks for the 80's cult movie (which I also recommend) Streets Of Fire. The songs were written by Jim Steinman, who's pretty much a god to me. Seriously, he's up there with the very best songwriters in the history of rock. Why no one's commissioned a jukebox musical based on his discography is beyond me. Anyway, I was first familiar with Nowhere Fast through Meat Loaf's version, which was released on his underrated 1984 album, Bad Attitude. The two versions are quite different, both in production and melody, and as much as I love Meat Loaf's version (it's actually one of my favorites of his), Fire Inc's is better. What they've created is an epic, bombastic rock opera. It is literally my absolute favorite style of music. Everything about this is perfection. Play it LOUD.

I also wanted to include the group's only other song, the magnificent Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young. Think of it as the younger, more bombastic cousin to Total Eclipse Of The Heart. Only it's better. This is some of Steinman's best work. A pity that it's also among his least-known. Below is the music video from the movie (Diane lip-syncing along to the song). It's pretty damn ridiculous. Enjoy!





(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Buy the (excellent) soundtrack here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Scott Stebleton said...

Oh wow, I thought I was the only person who loved "Tonight Is What It Means to Be Young" - and it's been ages since I heard it.

11:11 AM  
Blogger atpatpatp said...

These songs are so underrated!
I've loved your blog for a while. This is the best post yet.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

here, here - love these songs and the movie, cheesy as it is. Nowhere Fast is awesome and Tonight Is What It Means to Be Young is almost operatic in its scope. Love how the various refrains are layered over each other, moving from front to back as the song reaches its finale.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Sophia said...

I loved both of these songs for a while now.Kudos for posting :)

3:56 AM  
Anonymous ArkArmy said...

Great post Nick. I own the frickin' LP and work with someone who was the assoc. producer for the film.

I love "Nowhere Fast" and "Tonight is what it means to be young". Epic!

"Sorcerer" is great too and of course "One Bad Stud" & "Hold that snake".

Good stuff man!

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home