Your Ad Here

Friday, June 15, 2012

Flashback Friday: Tower - See You Tonight


"I'm so glad that I'll see you again tonight"

There are some moments--wonderful moments--that an obscure band just sort of falls into your lap and they end up being perfectly suited to your taste. Now, my taste is pretty wide, but there is a certain genre, for lack of a better word, that I hold very dear. Let's call it uptempo, synth-driven theatrical rock/pop with a grandiosity and bombast seldom found in "normal" music (and preferably a sci-fi and or glam influence). As you can imagine, this doesn't come around too often! But when it does... especially an entire album of it... it's quite special. So, with this in mind, I present Tower to you. They're from the Netherlands, which had its own pop boom around the late 70's/early 80's (a subject I'll be exploring more in the coming weeks). Despite this, they don't sound much like their Dutch contemporaries. If I had to describe them, I'd say their sound is a mix between ELO, Meat Loaf and Blondie (or Surferosa, for a more modern-day comparison). In other words: perfection. I really don't want to even say any more about this song. You just need to listen to it. In form and structure, it's pretty much the type of thing I live for. Cheesy, yes, but oh so right. Unfortunately, the band only recorded one album (Titan), and a couple of extra tracks before disbanding. What a shame. But at least they left us with this.



(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. The album's out of print, but you can hear all the tracks here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous ArkArm said...

Luv it.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home