Your Ad Here

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Alienhits turns Seven! (+ my favorite song of all time)

Seven friggin' years. I honestly can't believe it. I'm starting to think that I can't remember a time before I worked on this blog.

And you know what seven means? Only three more years until TEN. Here's to another great year of music. For now, though, I'd like to highlight what I feel is the best song ever recorded.

Now, "best" songs can change, and mine has quite a few times since I started writing the blog. But at this moment (and for... let's say the past year or so), I have decided that The Ark's Calleth You, Cometh I is the best song ever recorded.

I know many people will scoff at me for picking a track that was only recorded ten years ago, but music is highly subjective and often tied to memories and moments. I'm only 29 years old, so it would make sense that my favorite song would come from my own lifetime. I'm certainly a fan of music from the 80's, 70's and 60's, but I don't have the same perspective on those tracks that others might.

For my taste, and the tastes of this blog, you just can't beat Calleth You, Cometh I. It is the definition of life-affirming, galvanizing pop music. It includes everything I love in music: bombast, piano and guitar, choirs, glamour, strong/theatrical vocals, melody with a capital "M," anthemic lyrics, and that elusive, triumphant, transcendent sound. The last two minutes of this masterpiece may just be the most awe-inspiring, gorgeous sound ever recorded. At least, it is in my eyes. I'm not a religious guy, but to me it sounds like the gates of Heaven opening up. I still get chills. And as someone who's had the privilege of seeing it performed live on more than one occasion, I can say that nothing compares to a crowd of hundreds around you, singing it back.

If you're a longtime follower of this blog, I'm sure you've heard the song before. If not, I hope you find at least a little of what I do.

Calleth You Cometh I by The Ark on Grooveshark

And a recent stripped down, orchestral version if you're feeling a little more reflective:

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Vanessa said...

Aw, happy anniversary! I really enjoy the blog and thank you for keeping it up. You're responsible for many hours of happy listening :)

9:32 PM  
Blogger ESC Nation said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Dan said...

Happy anniversary, it is indeed an excellent song, one of my all time faves too. And yes The Ark live are amazing, shame I won't get the cahnce again, but glad I got to their last gig outside of Swedn in Berlin, and saw them perform at MF 2011 too, and met Ola Salo afterwards together with the lead singer of Melody Club :)

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home