Your Ad Here

Friday, January 10, 2014

Top Ten Movies Of 2013

Before the Golden Globes officially kicks off Awards Season this weekend, I thought it was time (finally) for my annual year-end list of my favorite movies of 2013. Overall, I found it a pretty uninspiring year for movies. I've liked all the potential Oscar frontrunners, but none has really excited me to the level of movies like Hugo in 2011 or Les Miserables in 2012. Oh well, for a superhero nerd like myself, 2014 should more than make up for that! Without further ado, here's my top ten (and five bonus picks):

1. The Way Way Back Awkward and charming and ultimately very, very sweet. I can't remember any 2013 movie giving me a better feeling coming out of the theater. The year's best coming-of-age film, and that's saying a lot because this was an excellent year for the genre.

2. Dallas Buyer's Club Featuring the best performances of the year. At turns devastating and hopeful, it's not the kind of movie I want to watch everyday, but it's stuck with me more than any other this year.

3. Iron Man 3 Proves that Marvel's winning streak continues. The best part isn't even the action sequences -- it's the dynamite script.

4. Mud Captures a vision of the American South that carries the film through even its sloggier moments. The cast is exceptional.

5. Thor: The Dark World Marvel's second round in 2013, and a better film than the first one. Total fun.

6. Kings Of Summer The funniest movie of the summer, and yet another example of how well 2013 did coming-of-age films.

7. Ender's Game Maligned by some, but I thought the visuals and performances were a huge step ahead of most sci-fi blockbusters.

8. 12 Years A Slave A harrowing film to watch, but one that manages to firmly plant the viewer right in the middle of the horrific slave experience.

9. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Improves on the original, with more time spent exploring the build-up to the games, including all the nasty politics and wars of words.

10. The Butler A history lesson in the American civil rights movement, told with brevity and power.

Plus Five More:
11. American Hustle
12. Rush
13. The Conjuring
14. Gravity
15. Saving Mr. Banks

And a few I haven't yet seen that could potentially be on my list after I do:
The Spectacular Now
Captain Phillips
Kill Your Darlings
Nebraska
The Hobbit: Desolation Of Smaug
August: Osage County

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous JeffC said...

Think you'll really enjoy The Spectacular Now! August Osage County is excellent as far as the acting goes but don't expect a feel good movie. Meryl Streep is amazing as always! BTW skip "Her" really lame.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home