Your Ad Here

Friday, February 07, 2014

Melodifestivalen 2014 Heat Two: Preliminary Judgment

Okay, so I might have gone a little overboard/excited about last week's heat. Although I liked a lot of the songs (more than average), I don't think we've seen the winner yet. Could they be among this week's contestants?

(Listen to clips here)

1. JEM - Love Trigger
I was never a big fan of them on XF, nor did I like what they released after that. This is way too trendy for me. I hope it comes across better in full. Right now it sounds like every other bit of radio fodder playing in the States. 2/5

2. The Refreshments - Hallelujah
A huge band in Sweden, that's been around forever. It's not my kind of music AT ALL. Also, I really don't think it has any place in the context of MF. Since so much of the clip is instrumental, it's hard to tell whether I'll end of liking this. It seems doubtful as of now. 2/5

3. Manda - Glow
Another X-Factor alum, with what sounds like a much better track. I'm still not getting very inspired (this is way, way schmaltzy), but I like the strings... 3/5

4. Panetoz - Efter solsken (After the sunshine)
The best sounding clip so far, and I'm a bit surprised to be saying that. I really like this kind of summery, euro-urban party music, at least as a part of MF. Still, it doesn't sound as strong as last year's Jalla Dansa Sawa. 3.5/5

5. Pink Pistols - I Am Somebody
Think god! I was getting really worried about this week's songs. This will likely be way too camp to progress, but it's the kind of thing that MF needs. It's the lifeblood of the competition. 4/5

6. Sanna Nielsen - Undo
Sanna's last three entries were epics and pretty much instant classics, so I've got high hopes for her performance. This is a bit underwhelming for now, but I have faith that she'll sell it. Doesn't sound like another Empty Room, though. 3/5

7. Little Great Things - Set Yourself Free
Rock can either sink or swim in this contest, and I have no idea how this will do. I'm intrigued by the melody, but I'm definitely not sold on the singer's voice. This could go either way for me. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. 3.5/5

8. Martin Stenmarck - När änglarna går hem (When the angels go home)
I actually really like the sound of this. If the full thing's as epic as this clip is leading me to believe, it could end up being my favorite track of the week. And believe me, I was NOT expecting to say that. 3.5/5

Unfortunately, this seems to be a comedown from last week, as nothing is really standing out to me in a major way. I have high hopes for Martin and Pink Pistols, and a few others might surprise me. I'd imagine Sanna will do well... perhaps Martin and Panetoz too. It's a weird week. Hard to predict.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home