Your Ad Here

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Scissor Sisters - Something Like This


"I just need to hear that song again"

In April of last year, I mentioned that Scissor Sisters' eventual comeback single should sound something like Filthy Dukes'/Tommy Sparks' Messages -- an 80's inspired electro jam. Turns out that their comeback sounded nothing like that (though it ended up brilliant anyways), but there is a track on their new album that's begging to fill the second single slot and eerily matches the exact wishes I wrote about in that 2009 post. It's as if I was in the studio telling them what to do! Ha ha... well, probably not quite that extreme. Surprisingly, Something Like This didn't stand out for me at first, but as I've lived with it for awhile now, it's become one of my favorite tracks on the album. The robo-hook is as simple as it gets, and the rest of the song follows suit. But dance tracks this taut and elastic are a lot harder to produce than they'd seem (see Christina A's craptacular new "electro" album). The trick is making them sound simple and effortless, and this song does that brilliantly. The result is a galvanizing burst of modern dance-pop that's completely irresistible and a bit different for the band.

Scissor Sisters - Something Like This by alienhits

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Preorder the album here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Myfizzypop said...

What I like about the album is that when i go back to it to listen to my current faves, i'm always swayed by something else... i'm thinking the album will have legs that keep running for a while...

12:27 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

I certainly haven't gotten sick of it, though I did take a week or two off after overplaying it :)

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home