Your Ad Here

Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Look at the 2012 Academy Awards

As usual, I'm a complete nut when it comes to the Oscars. I try to see every nominated movie and definitely have my opinions. This year, having seen all the nine Best Picture nominees, I can safely rank them from favorite to least:

1. Hugo
(huge gap)
2. War Horse
3. The Help

4. Midnight In Paris
5. The Artist

(big gap again)
6. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
(can appreciate elements of the craft, but the movie wasn't for me)
7. Tree Of Life
8. The Descendants
9. Moneyball


BEST PICTURE

Will Win: The Artist
There's just no stopping its momentum. It doesn't matter that it hasn't been embraced by the public or that it's too slight or forgettable. It's been the frontrunner ever since it came out. The novelty hasn't seemed to fade. I can't say it's a bad movie at all (I actually really enjoyed it)... just not the best picture of the year.
Should Win: Hugo
Far and away the best picture of the year, it does all the Artist wants to do but on a deeper, more emotionally cathartic way. Even if you stripped away the excellent story and performances, the movie is simply gorgeous to look at. It's a technical marvel in every way but retains the feeling of a classic fable. There's a reason it reaped the most nominations this year.

BEST ACTOR

Will Win: Jean Dujardin
I think the Artist love will carry over to this category, though it'll be close between him and Clooney.
Should Win: Demián Bichir
Though I haven't seen his movie yet, I was delighted over Bichir's nomination and this is one upset that I'd love to see, if only for his body of work.

BEST ACTRESS

Will Win: Viola Davis
It's going to be close between her and Meryl Streep. I'm a massive fan of both of them, but Davis was in the better movie and is due to win.
Should Win: Viola Davis
Again, though Streep was amazing, Davis had the better movie. The real question here is, why was Tilda Swinton snubbed for her unforgettable performance in We Need To Talk About Kevin?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Will Win: Christopher Plummer
He's won everything so far. I don't see that changing.
Should Win: Christopher Plummer
I say this because I really have no stakes in this race. I've only seen two of the five nominated performances and wasn't particularly moved by either, so I'm going with the consensus.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Will Win: Octavia Spencer
The Help is going to dominate the acting categories, and rightfully so. She's won this award in pretty much every awards show so far this year.
Should Win: Octavia Spencer
Though I'm a big fan of both Janet McTeer and Berenice Bejo's performances, Spencer's was the most memorable.

BEST DIRECTOR

Will Win: Michel Hanazavicius
The novelty of the Artist will most likely carry him to a victory, though there are far more deserving nominees.
Should Win: Martin Scorsese
Again, best movie of the year. But even beyond that, the skill and knowledge it took to direct on such an epic scale (with 3d, to boot), makes this the easy standout in the category. I'd love an upset here. And it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home